Morocco’s monarch launches Emergency Program for Earthquake victims’ resettlement

Following last weekend’s devastating earthquake in Morocco, King Mohammed VI chaired  a meeting dedicated to the activation of the emergency program for the resettlement of the victims.

The working meeting was attended by the Head of Government, Mr. Aziz Akhannouch, Advisor to HM the King, Mr. Fouad Ali El Himma, the Interior Minister, Mr. Abdelouafi Laftit, the Endowments and Islamic Affairs Minister, Mr. Ahmed Toufiq, the Economy and Finance Minister, Ms. Nadia Fettah, the National Territory Planning, Land Planning, Housing and City Policy Minister Ms. Fatima Ezzahra El Mansouri, the Minister Delegate to the Minister of Economy and Finance, in charge of the Budget, Mr. Faouzi Lekjaa, as well as Lieutenant General Mohammed Berrid, Inspector General of the FAR and Commander of the Southern Zone.”

The emergency program is part of the royal instructions ordered during a work session held on Saturday, a day following the earthquake.

The resettlement program presented to the monarch was prepared by an inter-ministerial commission established under royal instructions to address approximately 50,000 completely or partially collapsed residences across the five affected provinces.

One part of the plan is to have an internally displaced camp as an emergency temporary housing for the affected population in structures that are designed to withstand cold and bad weather as the country enters the fall months.

Advertisement

The Moroccan news agency, MAP reports that the kingdom will grant $3,000 in emergency aid to the affected households.

The monarch also stressed the urgent nature of the rehousing operation, as some of the affected families have continued to spend their nights outside or in inadequate housing after their homes collapsed.

The resettlement plan also includes urgent reconstruction actions to be carried out immediately after land preparation and stabilization. The country is planning to hand out direct financial aid of MAD 140,000 ($13,800) for completely collapsed homes and MAD 80,000 ($8,000) to cover the reconstruction of partially collapsed houses.

The reconstruction efforts are to be carried out in accordance with the region’s architectural and cultural identity, as well as up to safety standards.

King Mohammed VI also stressed the importance of upgrading the infrastructure and quality of public services in the affected areas, and ordered that the children who have been orphaned due to the disaster be granted the status of Wards of the Nation.

Advertisement

Since striking Morocco on Friday night, the devastating earthquake has so far resulted in 3,000 fatalities and left over 5,000 others suffering from injuries of varying severities.

Advertisement

Serie A champions, Napoli...

Jude Bellingham’s efforts produced two goals during an eight-minute stretch of the first half in Real Madrid’s 3-2 win at Serie A champion Napoli on Tuesday...

…And the misery continues...

Manchester United’s miserable season continued with a 3-2 home defeat by Galatasaray as Casemiro was sent off giving away a penalty which Mauro Icardi missed before...

Arsenal suffer double blow...

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta said he is worried about Bukayo Saka’s availability for Sunday’s league game against Manchester City after the forward went off injured in...

Man Utd can still...

Manchester United are still in the running for a place in the Champions League round of 16 despite Tuesday’s 3-2 defeat by Galatasaray leaving them bottom of Group...

Nigerian Exchange Rises by...

Due to equities investors' large betting that started on Tuesday, the Nigerian Exchange rose by about N213 billion The post Nigerian Exchange Rises by N213bn after 7-Day...

AfDB Reiterated Commitment to...

Development Bank (AfDB) Group has reiterated commitment funding the construction of the Abidjan to Lagos highway. The bank, in a statement on its website, said it...

Serie A champions, Napoli go down at home

Jude Bellingham’s efforts produced two goals during an eight-minute stretch of the first half in Real Madrid’s 3-2 win at Serie A champion Napoli on Tuesday...

…And the misery continues for Man United as Galatasaray win 3-2 at Old Trafford

Manchester United’s miserable season continued with a 3-2 home defeat by Galatasaray as Casemiro was sent off giving away a penalty which Mauro Icardi missed before...

Arsenal suffer double blow with Saka injured in loss to Lens

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta said he is worried about Bukayo Saka’s availability for Sunday’s league game against Manchester City after the forward went off injured in...

Man Utd can still reach Champions League knockout phase, says Ten Hag

Manchester United are still in the running for a place in the Champions League round of 16 despite Tuesday’s 3-2 defeat by Galatasaray leaving them bottom of Group...

Nigerian Exchange Rises by N213bn after 7-Day Selloffs

Due to equities investors' large betting that started on Tuesday, the Nigerian Exchange rose by about N213 billion The post Nigerian Exchange Rises by N213bn after 7-Day...

AfDB Reiterated Commitment to Funding Construction of Abidjan to Lagos Highway

Development Bank (AfDB) Group has reiterated commitment funding the construction of the Abidjan to Lagos highway. The bank, in a statement on its website, said it...

Stablecoins to Revolutionise Africa’s Economic Landscape

In an era where financial empowerment is paramount, Africa is witnessing a remarkable surge in the adoption of stablecoins The post Stablecoins to Revolutionise Africa’s Economic Landscape...

FBNH Halts Rally, Valuation Falls Below N600bn

The share price of FBN Holdings (FBNH) has plunged after the previous successive rally in the local bourse. The post FBNH Halts Rally, Valuation Falls Below N600bn...

Nigeria Can make $20m from Launching One Satellite – NASRDA

Nigeria Can make $20m from Launching One Satellite – NASRDA The National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA) says Nigeria can generate 20 million Dollars from...